Thursday, April 7, 2011

Christmas Letter

Greetings to my beloved members of the farm. Its been a couple months since I last saw most of you and I MISS YOU! I miss the abundance of the farm and the wonderful sense of community that comes with it. I am also enjoying the long nights and slow days of winter. Time feels like honey as I peruse seed catalogues and begin to map next year’s field on paper. I have so much gratitude for the tremendous success we had this summer with our first crack at growing food here on a large scale. We are also out playing in the snow and building a new washing and packing facility, farm stand, and hoop house. I have my eye on more variety earlier! I am so excited for next year I can hardly stand it. I’m off to water in the greenhouse. We’re still getting greens and tomatoes and TatSoi out of the snow! A NOTE FROM TERRA MADRE As most of you know, I spent October in Italy at Terra Madre. It was a fabulous convention of 6,400 farmers and foodies from 161 nations. It was four fabulous days of sharing pride for our work defending quality of life through food. Coming home, I am so proud of my community and our local food system, which you are all very much a part of. Your decision to eat locally and organically has such a huge impact on a planetary level. I’d love for you to check out Slow Food and the work they do to protect and enjoy culinary heritage and help maintain the health of community and landscape. As they say of farmers in Italy: “When labor impregnates the dress of the humble, we collect the drops of sweat like diamonds.” I farm for you with love. Warmest Wishes I hope you are all ensconced in family and friends this holiday season. Maybe you have a few potatoes or winter squash left from summer to mix in with your holiday celebrations. I am sending much love and gratitude from the farm! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment