Thursday, April 7, 2011

Volume 1: Issue 14

We’re still hangin in down here and I cannot believe how much food is still coming out of this field! Despite the cold and the hard rains, the garden remains fabulously abundant. I’m sure it will all ease down to greens, just as we started, but the root crops sure are fun while they last. We’ve had lots of friends coming through this time of year and digging into the garden with us. Its been wonderful to share the garden. Please feel free to stop by any time for a visit before its all over for this year. We’re also going through our field maps and making notes of what we liked and worked best. If you have any input whatsoever, please send me an email or let me know. I welcome your ideas, especially while the season is fresh in our minds. It’s a great chance for you to shape the coming year! I hope you are all very very well and I want to thank you again for all your support! PARSNIPS... HERE'S WHAT TO DO... Cut them into thin strips and bake them like a French fry. Use a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Super sweet! Use them in a winter stir fry with beets, potatoes, cabbage, etc.. You can strip and grill it like asparagus. I bet there’s a soup with parsnips and parsley too. Mmmm :) Cut them in half and put them in a buttered dish, sprinkle with salt, and add 3/4 cups stock or water and bake for 45 minutes at 375. Serve with Parsley Butter. Essentially, what don’t you do with a parsnip??? Enjoy! Gourds are a fun little ornamental at the end of the season! I don’t think they are edible, but you can try :) I suggest using them as an autumn center piece. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment