Thursday, April 7, 2011

Volume 1: Issue 15

Hello! I hope this perfect week of summer and fall wrapped up in one is treating you well. We are still hauling lots of goodies out of the field and are excited to share them with you. I visited a big organic farm in the valley today to see what it would be like to expand a bit. I certainly got some great ideas for implements that will save my time and body. And of course everything grows in the valley, but I can’t stand all that green and the heavy air. I like it here… frost and all… This farm has a big CSA and also sells at markets and such. I was struck by the fact that the farmer didn’t know hardly any of the families visiting his farm and it made me appreciate my relationship with you all so much and how much pleasure I get out of knowing you and seeing you each week. Thank you all so much for being part of my life. Let me know if you come up with any cool recipes for brussel sprouts ;) SQUASH MUFFINS 1 cup flour 1 cup whole wheat flour 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 6 tablespoons butter or margarine 1/2 cup golden raisins 3/4 cup milk 1/2 cup cook squash 1 egg Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cloves, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins. Blend milk, squash, egg, and melted butter. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake 25-30 minutes at 400 or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Brussel Sprouts This may be a bit premature, but I swear we are getting close to having brussel sprouts. If not this week, then next… but I’ve planted four different varieties for your pleasure. I honestly don't know anything about them and have never eaten them, but they look cool and I’m going to see if I like them since I grew them :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment